1/27/2014

progress








Week two finished on a high note: my only true day off all week. Five 6am wake-ups, 4 days of work, and two 6-hour days spent in a tutor certification class at the Rochester Hills public library. The class proved to be a happy risk as it called up all my instinctual excitement over the prospect of teaching language. And so, I've since reconsidered my whole life, as happens so often these days. Suddenly, a few more years in the classroom and $30,000 doesn't seem like so much, especially considering what I'd be trading in: life at a desk and a head full of thoughts wanting to be spent.

Other things this week:
1. The cold won't end. The schools are closed again tomorrow for wind chills in the negative thirties.
2. We finally have books again. I started into two other novels this month and couldn't commit. Behind the Beautiful Forevers seems to have stuck.
3. I cooked a true down home meat-veggie-starch meal this week, and I really felt like a grown up.
4. We are balancing friends-time and us-time, even though I get greedy, wanting to dance around the living room with him all night long. I begrudgingly gave in to a drunken game night which turned out to be fun for the whole family.
5. Funny how the moments build on each other, forming a story, though you only see it looking backwards. First is me crying, scraping pizza sauce off my plate into a sink of dirty dishes. Second is the decision to take a risk, take the class, become a tutor. Third, my tutor teaching telling me: "you're so good at this." And now, making plans for more classes, to stand at the front of a classroom one day.





No comments:

Post a Comment